To encounter a Great Pyrenees or a Malamute feels to me like meeting a unicorn. That such creatures might share our beds or lie on the sofa with us while we watch TV seems like proof that heaven is capable of dipping down and grazing the earth with the tip of its toe. - Meagan Daum, The Unspeakable: And Other Subjects of Discussion
The Great Pyrenees is an exceptionally old breed, developed hundreds of years ago in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. Developed by shepherds to live among and defend the flock from large, vicious predators, they had to be powerful-but they also had to be gentle enough to be trusted with newborn lambs. This breed is exceptionally large, often greater than a hundred pounds, but due to their usually gentle, affectionate demeanor towards human children, the dogs make excellent family pets as well.
An effective flock guardian has to be hardworking, loyal, and able to think independently. That ability to think independently can sometimes lead this canine to be stubborn when it comes to training, but make no mistake, with the proper attitude and training tools, you can teach these intelligent animals both basic and advanced commands. This book will ensure that you achieve greater insight into the Great Pyrenees breed and help you determine if this majestic canine is right for you and your home.
This comprehensive handbook answers crucial questions for new and prospective owners of Great Pyrenees dogs, like:
- Is a Great Pyrenees the right dog for me?
- How do I prepare my home for a large dog like a Great Pyrenees?
- What steps are needed to ensure that my Great Pyrenees stays strong and healthy?
- Which training methods are most effective for training my Great Pyrenees?
The Complete Guide to the Great Pyrenees prepares you for the challenging but rewarding task of raising your Great Pyrenees from puppyhood through his senior years. Gain essential information on topics such as:
- The history of the Great Pyrenees
- How to choose a reputable breeder
- The pros and cons of adopting an adult Pyrenees
- How to prepare your home for your Great Pyrenees
- What to expect when you bring your new dog home
- How to house-train your Great Pyrenees pup
- The importance of good socialization
- Great Pyrenees and other pets
- The best methods for training a Great Pyrenees
- How to extinguish or prevent problem behaviors
- Tips to make traveling with your Great Pyrenees easy
- Tips and tricks for grooming your Great Pyrenees
- Health concerns specific to the Great Pyrenees breed
Raising a Great Pyrenees is not a task for the faint of heart, but if handled properly, it is remarkably rewarding. This inclusive guidebook helps to prepare for your grand endeavor by giving you all the tools you need to handle everything from choosing the perfect pooch to making his senior years a breeze.
New and prospective pet parents of Great Pyrenees will want this essential book close at hand!
Author: Erin Hotovy Language: EnglishBinding: PaperbackPages: 151Publisher: Independently publishedPublication Date: 2019-10-10