The essential, authoritative guide to microaggressions, revised and updated
The revised and updated second edition of Microaggressions in Everyday Life presents an introduction to the concept of microaggressions, classifies the various types of microaggressions, and offers solutions for ending microaggressions at the individual, group, and community levels. The authors--noted experts on the topic--explore the psychological effects of microaggressions on both perpetrators and targets.
Subtle racism, sexism, and heterosexism remain relatively invisible and potentially harmful to the wellbeing, self-esteem, and standard of living of many marginalized groups in society. The book examines the manifestations of various forms of microaggressions and explores their impact. The text covers: researching microaggressions, exploring microaggressions in education, identifying best practices teaching about microaggressions, understanding microaggressions in the counseling setting, as well as guidelines for combating microaggressions. Each chapter concludes with a section called The Way Forward that provides guidelines, strategies, and interventions designed to help make our society free of microaggressions. This important book:
- Offers an updated edition of the seminal work on microaggressions
- Distinguishes between microaggressions and macroaggressions
- Includes new information on social media as a key site where microaggressions occur
- Presents updated qualitative and quantitative findings
- Introduces the concept of microinterventions
- Contains new coverage throughout the text with fresh examples and new research findings from a wide range of studies
Written for students, faculty, and practitioners of psychology, education, social work, and related disciplines, the revised edition of Microaggressions in Everyday Life illustrates the impact microaggressions have on both targets and perpetrators and offers suggestions to eradicate microaggressions.
Author: Derald Wing Sue, Lisa Spanierman Language: EnglishBinding: PaperbackPages: 384Publisher: WileyPublication Date: 2020-04-21